Does mold set-ups, start-ups, resin and color changes, set-ups: conveyor/separators, robots, granulators, blenders, dryers, vision systems, etc., and fine tunes this equipment. Does process troubleshooting and related process changes on computer controlled presses, monitoring equipment, and auxiliary equipment while applying “scientific molding”. Use Aptar “molding philosophies” such as decoupled molding, viscosity fill rate data, measured shot weights, gate freeze information, mold balance data, cavity and pressure sensing data, etc. including interpreting and applying this methodology as a part of daily processing tasks. Does manual process documentation and computerized process and downtime monitoring including interpreting related data and making proper process adjustments. Preforms daily production reports, work orders, other paperwork, and computerized tasks. Solves molding defects through the detailed understanding of molded components, related part prints, work instructions, and procedures in an ISO environment. Maintains housekeeping in a cGMP environment, preventive maintenance on molds and equipment, and is actively involved in safety maintenance and improvement. Assists in training of junior molding technicians and material handlers. Embraces ongoing training, education, and knowledge and skill improvement required. Involved in Lean Production System, improvement teams, and ongoing continuous improvement.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Works in a safe manner and monitors safety of equipment and work area.
- Assist Process Engineering
- Performs mold set-ups, resin and colorant changes, equipment changes, and start-ups.
- Interprets scientific molding data and applies information to processing actions.
- Handles defect notices and makes appropriate process changes.
- Troubleshoots machines, aux equipment, and process problems.
- Monitors and documents production processes and changes.
- Does daily preventive maintenance on machines, molds, and equipment.
- Communicates effectively with other shifts and departments verbally and in writing.
- Inputs information into process monitor system.
- Fills-out tech notes on designated computer.
- Changes nozzles, nozzle tips, nozzle heater bands, etc. as needed.
- Maintains housekeeping of machines and molding room.
- Verifies carton label information prior to shipment.
- Trains and assists with training of junior coworkers.
- Must have 3 – 5 years’ experience in molding with a minimum of 3 years of processing experience.
- Good communication skills - written & oral.
- Good computer skills.
- Must be able to generate 160 foot pounds of torque on mold clamp bolts using a 24” torque wrench.
- Must be able to safely work around molding machines.
- Must be able to hear machine alarms.
- Must be able to lift load up to 65 pounds from floor level to above waist.
- Must be able to reach machine and auxiliary equipment controls, and climb on presses.
- Must be able to read, write & speak English.
- Basic math skills and good mechanical aptitude.
- Requires visual acuity and ability to detect visual changes in plastic under a microscope.
- Ability to operate a forklift.
- Must have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent as deemed appropriate by department head
- Must embrace ongoing training and skills development.